D17152: Hide the badge if number too big

Nathaniel Graham noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Mon Nov 26 19:38:42 GMT 2018

ngraham added a comment.

  In D17152#366524 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D17152#366524>, @svuorela wrote:

  > In D17152#366495 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D17152#366495>, @anthonyfieroni wrote:
  >
  > > So i like second one, it can still be fixed to 10K+ because it does not matter above.
  >

  > I'm still unsure what I as a user should use the number for ? It is not like I'm going to sit down and do anything to get the number down.

  I feel like this patch trying to work around a problem in either your workflow or your email client. Notifications need to be sparse enough to be useful or else they're just distracting noise. It sounds like KMail should only include unread emails in your inbox, or have an option to do this (or if it does, you should use it, and it should probably be the default). Including millions of unread emails in your spam box and mailing list folders does not seem like a useful behavior.

  In other words, if the badge ever actually reaches more than 9999 notifications, something is probably wrong in the client. Simply removing the badge in this case doesn't seem like the right approach. Because if we accept the premise that too many notifications should suppress the badge, is 9999 really the best threshold? Maybe 1000 would be better? Or even just 500? 300? 250?  How many unread emails is so many that the notification badge isn't useful anymore?

  Does this make any sense?

REPOSITORY
  R119 Plasma Desktop