D16968: [Folder View] improve label contrast against challenging backgrounds

Filip Fila noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Sat Nov 24 11:00:56 GMT 2018

filipf added a comment.

  The icon labels should be visible enough with pretty much any wallpaper used. Historically in other systems there's been some cheating involved by having default wallpapers deliberately be darker on the left side, but you'd think we could come up with something better over the years :)

  Windows always did this right in the post XP era. I just went to check how they do it and it's not an outline. They have a drop shadow horizontally offset to the right and vertically offset to the bottom, but both not but by much actually. What makes it work is the strength of the shadow. It's pretty dark and not too blurred/smudged. They don't have a problem with this:

  In D16968#364753 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D16968#364753>, @mart wrote:

  > tough now it looks a bit too much like a blur around the letters, rather than a shadow

  If it's possible to mimic their solution with QML, the end result could work well.

REPOSITORY
  R119 Plasma Desktop