D17034: [Kickoff] Fix bad kerning in tab labels

Filip Fila noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Mon Nov 19 23:46:43 GMT 2018

filipf added a comment.

  **Explanation:**
  Kerning refers to the spacing between letters in text. It's important to get it right because otherwise the UI can look unprofessional (and ugly). Currently there is a QML bug <https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-49646> that renders all NativeRendering elements with bad kerning. The tab labels in Kickoff are highly affected and you often get "His tory" "L ea ve" and other combination of bad spacing.

  Since: (1) we are polishing the presentation of Kickoff in other diffs, (2) the kerning bug appears almost always in the tab section, (3) it looks like there isn't much progress in the upstream bug report; it would be beneficial to address this visual issue with a small workaround that entails setting rendering to QtRendering, which doesn't suffer from kerning issues.

  **Disclaimer: **
  I am the biggest opponent of working around upstream bugs, but this wouldn't be a precedent because we already do the same with the clock in the SDDM theme, and it's a minor change applied to the place where the bug most critically manifests itself. I'd promise to remove this from future versions as soon as QT provides a fix.

REPOSITORY
  R119 Plasma Desktop