Conceptual changes to KScreen

Roman Gilg subdiff at gmail.com
Mon Nov 19 14:33:09 GMT 2018

On Mon, Nov 19, 2018 at 11:56 AM David Edmundson
<david at davidedmundson.co.uk> wrote:

> The concept of the global values makes sense. But I think you've over complicated it.
>
> I don't think we should retroactively apply global changes to setups.
> The UX is super confusing, and we have all these state problems that require more and more code on top.
>
> All I think is needed is:
>  - we save the last user set refresh/rotation/scale to an output config file as well as the current config file
>
>  - kded/generator.cpp, when we get a new setup, looks for a global value and uses that instead of automatically generating it.
> That should be the only user of the global values.
>
> Bam, done.

Unfortunately it's not that easy.

Simple example:
* Imagine user has active two-display setup/configuration with
displays D1 and D2.
* User decides to change the scale factor of D1 to two.
* Now user disconnects D2.
* User decides that scale factor two is too large after all and goes
back to one.
* One month later user reconnects D2, the scale factor of D1 suddenly
changes back to the old value read from the configuration file.