D16988: [Kickoff] Make the visible search field unfocused by default

Frederik Gladhorn noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Mon Nov 19 09:14:31 GMT 2018

gladhorn added a comment.

  In D16988#361980 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D16988#361980>, @ngraham wrote:

  > There are a lot of good changes in here, like those keyboard navigation improvements! And I appreciate all the work that clearly went into this. However, the problem with huge patches like this is that if we like some but not all of it, you end up needing to re-work a lot of the patch. That's generally why we prefer "atomic" changes with one change per patch/commit. It makes that kind of thing way saner.
  >
  > And I'm afraid I don't think we can do #1. @chempfling and @gladhorn have been working hard to push on accessibility, and one thing I've learned in the past week weeks is how important focus is. Making sure that the active element both has and looks like it has focus is critical to making sure  the UI is accessible for screen readers. As such, we need to keep it visually focused by default when it opens.

  Actually this sounds like it might help our cause. Especially when the search bar can be tabbed into, that's really nice. The problem is that we would like to focus to be on the selected item, such as the one that gets launched when pressing enter. The search should not have the focus unless the user type. I didn't look at the code change at all, but from the description it may just be a step forward.

REPOSITORY
  R119 Plasma Desktop