D16937: Make Kickoff separators leaner (less opaque) and narrower (the length of a highlighted menu item)

Nathaniel Graham noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Sat Nov 17 21:09:12 GMT 2018

ngraham added a comment.

  I could get behind reducing the opacity. Perhaps to 0.7 or 0.6. Removing the frame for the scroll area to get rid of the extra lines on the top or bottom when it's scrollable could also make sense now that these lines are a part of the design. But I'll need a bit of convincing to agree to making the lines have different widths.

  Stepping back, the goal was to separate the three distinct elements from one another so that they actually look like three distinct elements. I wanted to move away from the "everything merges into everything else" look and towards a look that says "this is a structured thing with a header and a tab bar and a content area".

  To a certain extent, this goal was compromised because I couldn't get the lines to touch the actual edge (any ideas how to do that, #plasma <https://phabricator.kde.org/tag/plasma/> folks?).

  But I feel like reducing the line length takes us in the opposite direction by making the header and the content view seem like a part of the same thing, with a superfluous line between them. The obvious next question is, "why do we need that line, can't we get rid of it?" and then we're back to where we started. All of this stems from not being confident enough in Kickoff's visual identity to confidently separate things IMHO.

  Am I making any sense here?

REPOSITORY
  R119 Plasma Desktop