D16031: [SDDM theme] remove blur and increase UI contrast so that it's not required

Filip Fila noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Fri Nov 9 18:32:50 GMT 2018

filipf added a comment.

  In D16031#356881 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D16031#356881>, @rooty wrote:

  > hey i just set up these revisions and i'm liking the new theme
  >  one problem though, it seems as though Suspend, Restart, Shutdown are showing up as 12pt instead of 11pt or 10pt? it just looks a little too big compared to (when i force) 11pt

  Yeah I also tested the latest revision (tried it out with my default font too) and have some concerns regarding the font sizes.

  To expand a bit more on what you noticed:

  a) technical aspect - the login and password dialogs actually seem to be showing up as 12pt, not 11pt for me as well. Even on my FHD laptop where I use 11pt fonts to scale the screen, this looks too big.

  b) visual aspect - the login and password dialogs are still at 10pt and are now *sandwiched* between two 11pt(12pt?) texual elements (usernames and action button text). The "sandwiching" can make it noticeable that there is a discrepancy in font sizes, which in turn may not feel quite right aesthetically.

  c) conceptual aspect - thinking conceptually, are the action buttons more important than the login and password box? Users probably mainly use the login screen to type in their password, but the action buttons kind of stick out more.

  If I'm seeing it right and if you agree with me of course, this is what I see as potential solutions:

  1. keep everything at 10pt -> you remain true to the desktop default
  2. only have the usernames at 11pt -> you, in a way, avoid the visual discrepancy by not interrupting the vertical gradient of fontsizes whereby the fontsizes are decreased going from top to bottom
  3. switch all these central text elements to 11 pt (but not 12pt) -> hmm even at 11pt this may look too big for people with PCs, normal monitors and vision, but unfortunately I can't test this for quite some time :/

REPOSITORY
  R120 Plasma Workspace