D13095: Scren brightness follow a quatratic progression

Thomas Surrel noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Thu May 24 12:16:34 UTC 2018

thsurrel created this revision.
thsurrel requested review of this revision.

REVISION SUMMARY
  Modern hardware allow to adjust the screen brightness very precisely,
  with more than hundreds or thousands different possible levels. When
  modifying the screen brightness through the keyboard shortcuts, we
  are not making the best use of this very fine grain possibility,
  notably when in low light conditions. As of today, the progression
  is linear, so for a maximum brightness level of 1000 we are making
  20 steps of 50. This is not great since jumping from 0 to 50 can be
  already too bright when using a laptop in the dark. And when in full
  light, going from 950 to 1000 is barely noticeable.

  This patch tries to improve the situation by switching from a
  linear to a quadratic progression, offering smaller steps in the
  low level brightness.

  The switch to the quadratic progression is done in
  powerdevilbrightnesslogic.cpp, the other modifications ensure that
  the OSD still displays equal steps when giving a visual feedback,
  otherwise the lower steps are barely distinguishible.

  BUG: 362830

REPOSITORY
  R122 Powerdevil

AFFECTED FILES
  daemon/actions/bundled/brightnesscontrol.cpp
  daemon/powerdevilbackendinterface.cpp
  daemon/powerdevilbackendinterface.h
  daemon/powerdevilbrightnesslogic.cpp