D12960: Drag handle to reorder items in a ListView

Andres Betts noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Fri May 18 14:47:20 UTC 2018

abetts added a comment.

  In D12960#264657 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D12960#264657>, @rkflx wrote:

  > F5855884: drag-handles.png <https://phabricator.kde.org/F5855884>

  I think with this image we are trying to convey too much. Users in general, will understand that if you have a consistent imagery to represent drag, they will come to recognize it and use it however the system allows them to use it. Because of that, the arrows are extra. Not necessary. Because the system will determine the drag direction and the user will understand how to use them. Instead, we have to focus on the center image first and convey drag that way. Plus, on mobile for example, this is generally not used. People don't use arrows to represent drag direction. Instead, they just try to represent drag. I think we can use that idea.

  We agree that dots are used to represent touch or "draggable" control

  Another thought is that we also want to be a bit different, maybe not too different, than what other platforms do. We have tried a few ideas on this. What about these ones:

  F5856357: 001-circle.png <https://phabricator.kde.org/F5856357>

  F5856358: 002-arrows.png <https://phabricator.kde.org/F5856358>

  F5856359: 003-mark.png <https://phabricator.kde.org/F5856359>

  F5856360: 004-big-and-small-dots.png <https://phabricator.kde.org/F5856360>