Cursor sizes on wayland

David Edmundson david at davidedmundson.co.uk
Mon May 14 17:42:31 UTC 2018

We definitely need to scale the cursor image to device pixels in DRM
Output. That's code we need to add that I simply haven't done yet; it
wasn't a high priority as we also have the concept of just cursors being
bigger X-style.
Your Qt patch will allow us to do that whilst keeping assets drawn in
native resolutions.

> For a cursor wl_surface KWin neither emits the output information nor
uses the scale information. Both would be relative easy to implement. But
only makes sense if toolkits support it. Last time I looked at Qt code, Qt
did not (but that's some time ago).

I think having cursors match the surface is absolutely fine (Qt's current
state). If everything was working properly in the worst case it gets
upscaled/downscaled, but should still be the same size on screen.

---

However, that's all somewhat unrelated to the bug Aleix showed me.

Me not implementing wl_output style scaling would put the cursor simply
always too small or always too big. Especially as Qt didn't do anything at
the time.
Yet we saw it bounce about all over the place. That seems more a bug of the
X-style scaling

David