D12835: Draw borders around side panels by default

Henrik Fehlauer noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Sun May 13 06:53:12 UTC 2018

rkflx added a comment.

  If you revert a design decision, your summary should include a reference to the arguments of the original decision, a justification for changing it back again based on those, and you should try to get consent from the original authors and designers.

  In general it's a sensible thing to respect the choices of your fellow contributors working on the code before you, because working with each other is more effective than working against each other in the long term.

  In D12835#261523 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D12835#261523>, @ngraham wrote:

  > I wasn't around for the KDE4/oxygen days, so I wasn't aware this represented a reversion of anything; I just think this patch results in better visual design that the status quo.

  No need to go back to KDE4, you can simply try Oxygen and Fusion. IMO the whole point of different styles is to look different, and the minimalism of Breeze is just part of its DNA. If you think of the current design as a vertical tabbar, it makes sense (you would not apply the same patch to the normal tabbar, would you?).

  > Breeze may be a minimalistic theme, but minimalism always rides a fine line. If you take away too much, you can reduce clarity, or muddy the boundaries between things that are different and separate. The status quo here has never sat well with me: the side panel feels like it isn't sure what it wants to be. Is its content a part of the main window, or separate? It feels like neither. And what's with that blue line that doesn't extend all the way to the top or the bottom? The design feels like an unhappy compromise, not something that's bold and proud (apologies for all the subjective touchy-feely language; this is just how it feels to me). At least with this patch there's a clear and confident visual separation of the category list and the content area, and now I realize that's what I'm looking for.

  What you wrote here confirms my guess: It's how //you// feel about it (and in older screenshots of yours it's clear you changed this setting a long time ago, now trying to push your personal preference to everybody). My goal is not to question your preference, but to speak up that there are users who feel different and like the current design, even though those might not have discovered your Diff.

  > As an alternative, perhaps we should instead move towards making the side panels (and dockable panels) look more like System Settings' sidebar: a white background, but without a distinct frame, and  a one-pixel line separating it from the content area that extends the full height of the window. This would Breezey and modern, and much better than either IMHO. We might even be able to remove the setting entirely...

  I doubt that will work because of the buttons on the bottom left, which would be squished visually below your all-white background.

REPOSITORY
  R31 Breeze

BRANCH
  borders-around-settings-window-side-panels (branched from master)