D12091: HIG entry for On-demand pattern and swipe list item

Thomas Pfeiffer noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Fri May 4 18:21:40 UTC 2018

colomar added inline comments.

INLINE COMMENTS

> fabianr wrote in ondemand.rst:27
> My intention was to suggest switching to a navigation pattern  like "Master-Detail" or "Column-based navigation", so each item has its own content page where more actions could easily be displayed.
>
> What kind of command pattern would you suggest could replace the 3+ actions?

Ah okay, now I understand what you mean. I don't think that becomes clear through that wording, however.

In any case, it's the command pattern that is directly affected by the number of actions. It is true that the command patterns that work well for for more than three actions usually necessitate a deeper hierarchy, but that is then the next step. The first decision is which command pattern to choose, and that can be for example a context drawer or controls within content.

So I'd still suggest to change it to a link to command patterns. Once the designer has chosen a suitable command pattern, //then// they have to figure out which navigation pattern  best suits that.

REPOSITORY
  R985 KDE Human Interface Guidelines

BRANCH
  swipe