D12462: Add support for icon-only tasks (what browsers call pinned tabs)

Fabian Riethmayer noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Wed May 2 11:19:02 UTC 2018

fabianr added a comment.

  > to me pinning should mean:
  >
  > - i say what are the most important tasks to me (regardless if it's for one activity or for all activities)
  > - i want them always there, no matter whether running or not
  > - they stay always exactly in the same place (muscle memory) therefore can't have text and never move when they are started
  >
  >   to achieve that, i should do one action, not 2, it looks like bad UI for me otherwise.

  I would rather not have all the "icon only tasks" as starters ("always show entry"), if they are not running. To me a "icon only task" is something I would like to apply on tasks, that only have (normally) one instance running, so there is no problem with confusing them. They don't have to be the most important apps to me at all. Depending on your workflow these might include chat apps, ide's,  multimedia editors like krita, kdenlive, kontact ... .

  eg I only start Krita every couple of weeks, but I never start it twice so I would not need a task bar entry with text. But I don't need a starter for it either, since I don't start it very often. To me starters are something unrelated. (And they are pretty broken, in my option, when used with multiple workspaces and you only show entries from the current workspace in the taskbar, but that's probably besides point here)

REPOSITORY
  R120 Plasma Workspace