D11722: If GL context creation fails fall back to the software renderer

Kai Uwe Broulik noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Tue Mar 27 15:30:13 UTC 2018

broulik added a comment.

  I like the direction but I would like

  - something that doesn't permanently lock out the user if something failed once, we either need a KCM like KWin has or a SNI ("we had to switch you back to software rendering" with a sad puppy face)
  - something more generic in KDeclarative like QtQuickRenderSettings so stuff like KRunner, lock screen and so on can do the same, especially the screen locker should fail gracefully

INLINE COMMENTS

> main.cpp:186
> +        if (configGroup.readEntry("SceneGraphBackend") != QLatin1String("software")) {
> +            configGroup.writeEntry("SceneGraphBackend", "software", KConfigBase::Global | KConfigBase::Persistent);
> +            configGroup.sync();

So you will permanently force software rendering even for a single hickup (think of upgrading nvidia driver)?

> main.cpp:192
> +            QMessageBox::critical(nullptr, i18n("Plasma Failed To Start"),
> +                          i18n("Plasma is unable to start as it could not correctly use OpenGL 2 or software fallback\nPlease check that your graphic drivers are set up correctly."));

Add period after fallback

> shellcorona.h:117
> +Q_SIGNALS:
> +    void glInitialisationFailed();