no OSK in Plasma Mobile

Heather Ellsworth heather.ellsworth at puri.sm
Mon Mar 19 20:25:52 UTC 2018

On 03/17/2018 02:41 PM, Martin Flöser wrote:

> Am 17. März 2018 02:01:24 MEZ schrieb Heather Ellsworth <heather.ellsworth at puri.sm>:
>> On 03/15/2018 09:10 PM, Bhushan Shah wrote:

>> the
>> keyboard.
>> with
>>>
>>> For OSK, you just need to install qtvirtualkeyboard-plugin package,
>> it
>>> should give you working on-screen-keyboard for the Qt applications.
>> It
>>> is however possible that QtVirtualKeyboard is disabled by default if
>> you
>>> have keyboard attached. In that case you can enable it by clicking on
>>> virtualkeyboard icon in top drawer.
>>>
>>> You can also "export QT_VIRTUALKEYBOARD_STYLE=Plasma" for better
>> theming
>>> integration with Plasma Mobile.
>>
>> After installing qtvirtualkeyboard-plugin and exporting
>> QT_VIRTUALKEYBOARD_STYLE, we still do not see a keyboard icon in the
>> top
>> left of the Plasma Mobile desktop.
>>
>> Similarly, we do not see the icon after manually enabling the keyboard
>> with:
>>
>> $ qdbus org.kde.KWin /VirtualKeyboard
>> org.kde.kwin.VirtualKeyboard.enable
>>
>> However, after enabling the keyboard with the above qdbus command, we
>> see the keyboard pop up when a text field is clicked (like the search
>> bar, kwrite, konsole) but then the keyboard immediately goes away.
>>
>> Also in the lock screen, I see the virtual keyboard icon in the bottom
>> left. When I click it, the virtual keyboard appears and does not
>> disappear. Then I can type in the password (using Ctrl+Super to guide
>> my
>> mouse) to log back in.
>>
>> So the virtual keyboard works, but when in the desktop session the
>> keyboard goes away right after it appears. Any troubleshooting advice
>> you have would be helpful.
>>

> It might sound stupid, but just unplug the physical keyboard. Then it should work best. If the keyboard still hides, run the apps with WAYLAND_DEBUG=1 then we can see what's going on and why it hides. It should only hide if the application requests it and that's something we can see in the debug output.

Thank you for the suggestion. It turns out that the issue was actually
setting the QT_IM_MODULE:

$ export QT_IM_MODULE=qtvirtualkeyboard

With this variable set, I see the keyboard come up and then disappear
when a text field is clicked. I was testing with this variable on
Friday. However with this variable unset, the keyboard seems to _stay
around_ and be usable when a text field is clicked. So the trick is to
not set this :)

Cheers,
Heather