Fwd: Re: kwin display issue on librem5

Martin Flöser mgraesslin at kde.org
Tue Mar 6 16:47:39 UTC 2018

Am 2018-03-06 06:23, schrieb Bhushan Shah:
> Hello,
>
> On Mon, Mar 05, 2018 at 06:58:08PM -0700, Heather Ellsworth wrote:
>> Since PureOS is based on Debian buster, the versions of kwayland and
>> kwin I was running were:
>>
>> kwayland 5.42.0-2
>> kwin 5.12.1-1
>>
>> Using the patches attached to T8067...
>> 1. I built and installed a kwayland 5.42.0-3 and kwin 5.12.1-2 from
>> the
>> debian sources + the patches
>> 2. rebooted for good measure
>> 3. I uncommented the 'export QT_QPA_PLATFORM=wayland' line in the
>> plasma-phone script (so that it is back to the original version with
>> no
>> changes)
>> 4. Started kwin_wayland with:
>> $ kwin_wayland --drm plasma-phone
>>
>> I can confirm that the patches remove the bad display issue and the
>> display looks great!!
>
> Awesome, glad that helped!
>
>> When will the Plasma 5.13 release be ready? I can carry them in a fork
>> but I'd like to be working ideally off of packages included in Debian,
>> or at least the patched kwin and kwayland repos.
>
> Since 5.13 is next feature release and we "just" released Plasma 5.12,
> there is still time till Plasma 5.13 release, the beta is expected on
> May 17, and final release is on June 12.
>
> So I think best for you is to have a patched kwin and kwayland
> packages.
>
> also note that kwayland is part of KDE frameworks, so hopefully at
> least
> kwayland patch will be included in Next month's KDE Frameworks 5.45
> release.

Given that this seems to fix a severe bug, we could consider to backport
it to 5.12 with a conditional building if frameworks 5.45 is found. It's
something we haven't done so far, but given that we face the issue of
Wayland protocol incompatibilities more often recently, I think it's
something we will have to do for other protocols as well.

Cheers
Martin