D13415: Reshape Kickoff avatar to a circle with Opacity Mask

Scott Harvey noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Mon Jun 25 19:38:13 UTC 2018

sharvey added a comment.

  In D13415#282860 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D13415#282860>, @hein wrote:

  > Can you elaborate what you tried and what you wanted to happen and what didn't happen? I'm a bit confused now @ `touch`.

  A few days ago, you suggested

  > You can run `touch $HOME/.face.icon` to make the system believe the file changed, then it goes through KDirWatch etc.

  When picking a new avatar from `user-manager`, all the files all change properly: `~/.face`, `~/.face.icon`, and the `IconItem` source `user-identity`. But the avatar in Kickoff goes blank and will only refresh after a fresh login.

  Trying to use `touch` as you suggested did not help: the Kickoff avatar stayed blank. I issued it from a terminal, no change. I added a call in the QML to trigger an external command (don't have that nasty little hack on hand any longer), trying to trigger a `touch` each time the Kickoff QML was run. Still no change. Killing and restarting `plasmashell` also didn't work.

  In short, the avatar files are all correctly changed, but Kickoff refuses to update. It "updates" once to blank, but won't update again to the new image. **Sidenote**: there's some code in `user-manager` that explicitly deletes the old avatar, before installing the newly-chosen one. But even then, all the files get properly updated.

  My machine crashed over the weekend, so I'm reciting some of this from memory. If I've got slight inaccuracies, I apologize.

  I can put together a screen capture video if you want to see the steps I'm using.

REPOSITORY
  R119 Plasma Desktop