D13481: Recommend window border size "None"

Nathaniel Graham noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Sat Jun 23 13:50:40 UTC 2018

ngraham added a comment.

  In D13481#282096 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D13481#282096>, @romangg wrote:

  > Other platforms, which have virtual border and no real borders around windows, do they also have the deadzone? Is it known to be a usability problem for users of these platforms?

  Yes, macOS and GNOME have exactly the same visual appearance and behavior. Windows 10 has a single-pixel border and the same behavior.

  I agree with Martin that whether or not something is present on other platforms should not in and of itself be used as evidence; what if they're all doing it, but they're all wrong? We have to look at the actual usability consequences too. In the absence of a formal usability testing lab (something we'll never have), we can rely on our own judgment and reasoning, and we can attempt to determine the magnitude of user complaints about the feature on other platforms.

  Regarding our own judgment: Every affected workflow I can think of is uncommon and has a trivial workaround. This is even more so on our platform since we'd actually keep the ability to turn borders back on to eliminate the dead zone for anyone people who commonly use an affected workflow. Agreeing with Martin again, defaults aren't about pleasing everyone; they're for ensuring a good experience for the common user, while preserving the uncommon user's ability to tweak things to their satisfaction.

  Regarding user complaints: of all the complaints people have levied against macOS, GNOME, and Windows over the years, I don't think I can recall a single one about no click-through in the dead zone.

  Again, I also support Roman's proposed click-through idea.

REPOSITORY
  R31 Breeze