Virtual Desktop and Activities future: Tree proposal

Roman Gilg subdiff at gmail.com
Mon Jul 16 22:19:50 BST 2018

On Mon, Jul 16, 2018 at 8:21 PM Roman Gilg <subdiff at gmail.com> wrote:
> --------
> Example:
> --------
> User A is a project manager by trade and begins a job at a new
> company. She receives a company laptop for her new job, whch she can
> also use at home. Therefore on the first day she creates expclitiy two
> Activities "Job" and "Home" to separate job stuff from her free time
> activities. For her work she needed in the past often to interact with
> multiple applications, so she creates a second VD in the Job activity.
> At home she normally only uses the laptop for casual surfing, so she
> doesn't change the default VD count of 1 for the Home Activity.
>
> The next day she gets informed that she has to manage projects alpha,
> beta, gamma. For each of these projects she creates an Activity alpha,
> beta, gamma in the Job work container (by doing that "Job" is no
> longer an Activity in the above sense but is only an abstract work
> container any more).
>
> In the next week she realizes that project alpha is a rather huge
> project and she can identify two subprojects xi, tau of alpha. She
> puts all xi related stuff on the first VD and all tau related stuff on
> the second VD in the alpha Activity. Through an ui she can now promote
> these VDs to become Activities through giving a name to the VD.
> Automatically for each of these new Activities two VDs are created as
> their leafs.
I was asked to provide a diagram to visualize the example. So attached
is a picture with one showing the tree structure at the end of work
days 1, 2 and 7. Day 0 is the default setup before our project manager
does the first change. The Root Activity node is always there. Its
name has only meaning on day 0, because after the first change it is
not an Activity anymore but only a work container.

> * Can a work container with children still hold surfaces and data on
> its own, which are not associated with one of its children?
After thinking about it again I would say surfaces and data must be
associated with at least one leaf in every subtree all the time. So if
there are children on a node X and one wants to associate the data
most close to the node X as possible one of its children must be a VD,
and the data then can be associated with this VD.