D13593: [Fonts KCM] Improve user-friendliness of some anti-aliasing strings

Thomas Pfeiffer noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Fri Jul 13 12:14:45 BST 2018

colomar added a comment.

  I know that doing user research is not something favored here, but given how easy it is to use some user testing to settle discussions like this in a fact-based manner, I would really suggest the following:
  Each of us here who knows people that use English as their UI languague (regardless of whether they are native speakers or not, doesn't matter if they use Plasma) takes a couple of them,

  - shows them the screenshots with both terms (individually, in randomized order)
  - asks them what they think this setting means
  - records the answers
  - records whether the participant should be considered a "regular" or "advanced" users

  Yes, the sample would be relatively small, but even a small sample of people != us tells us more about our users than our introspection.
  Plus, we might be surprised by them either understanding both terms, or maybe neither of them (which would mean we'd have to come up with a better term).

  If we don't know enough people, we can easily reach out to other KDE people to do the same, since it's very easy to do.

  This may sound like overkill for you, but I honestly believe we should start getting in the habit of doing more empirical research, rather than each of us thinking we magically know best.

REPOSITORY
  R119 Plasma Desktop