Discussion for Virtual Desktops and Activities future

Michail Vourlakos mvourlakos at gmail.com
Thu Jul 12 22:36:02 BST 2018

> On Wed, Jul 4, 2018 at 9:28 PM Michail Vourlakos <mvourlakos at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > unfortunately not David, family matters prevent me from attending
>
> That's too bad, I'm still looking forward to some day, somehow making
> an in person meeting with you and other lattedock people happen..

unfortunately for the last nine months I am the only one "Latte" person. I
have
lost contact with Johan the second developer we were working with. We
disagreed at some point were Latte was heading and afterwards I couldnt
establish any further communication.

> In the meantime, can you provide a clear summary on what are the
> features/behaviors you expect for lattedock users' need?

I suppose you are referring to Activities/VDs topic.
Based on that the most advanced feature for lattedock users
is going to be introduced with Latte v0.8 next week.
That is multiple layouts(panel/docks) loaded simultaneously
based on the Activities running.

That is of course X11 centric until Activities-support for windows is
introduced
somehow in wayland.
A demonstration can be found here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utBQTIsJKTU

What Latte is doing, is that can set for its panels/docks to belong
in different Activities. The Latte docks/panels are always OnAllDesktops so
if in the future there will not be a combination of Activities and VDs at
the
same time it isnt important for Latte.

As a plasma user I am a [Multiple Activities and 1 VD] user so I am get used
in that workflow and I wouldnt like to miss it :)

Concerning Latte users demographics what I have in my mind without any
study but only based on the personal communication, the users are separated
like
this:

[A] - 75% (1 Activity  + Multiple VDs)
[B] - 20% (Multiple Activities + 1 VD)
[C] - 5%   (Multiple Activities + Multiple Desktops)

The above image keeps me focused on the features that must be definitely
supported and what bugs are very important...

Some of [C] group members I think that can become [B] group users
with better organization of their workflows to different Activities.
The thing is that [C] group members are very difficult to find in order to
understand their needs...