D14035: Unbreak SSH agent support for SSH VPN tunnels.

whitequark noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Tue Jul 10 23:49:44 BST 2018

catherinez created this revision.
catherinez added a reviewer: Plasma.
catherinez added a project: Plasma.
catherinez requested review of this revision.

REVISION SUMMARY
  Right now selecting SSH agent as authentication method for SSH VPNs
  results in a password dialog being shown and then a failure no matter
  what is entered. This is because the agent authentication method
  does not expect a password to be returned but instead expects
  a path to the agent socket to be sent. The upstream nm-ssh implements
  this, but KDE's plasma-nm does not.

  This change implements the behavior that nm-ssh-service expects
  from the frontend, and allows using SSH agent authentication with
  SSH VPNs set up by plasma-nm.

  I fully admit that this change is a bit hacky in that it hardcodes nm-ssh
  specific functionality in the core of plasma-nm, but I feel it could be
  fine for the following reasons:

  It fixes completely broken functionality at a relatively low cost.
  There is similar hardcoded behavior already e.g. for OpenConnect
  in PasswordDialog::initializeUi().
  Doing this properly requires a major refactor of plasma-nm, that is
  pulling VpnUiPlugin creation into SecretAgent instead of
  PasswordDialog where it is now, and I have neither time nor
  grasp of plasma-nm codebase to do this.

  Fixes https://github.com/danfruehauf/NetworkManager-ssh/issues/37.
  Fixes https://github.com/danfruehauf/NetworkManager-ssh/issues/54.

REPOSITORY