Raising windows on Wayland

David Edmundson david at davidedmundson.co.uk
Thu Jul 5 11:19:11 BST 2018

On Tue, Jul 3, 2018 at 7:45 PM, Martin Flöser <mgraesslin at kde.org> wrote:

> Am 2018-07-03 18:58, schrieb David Edmundson:
>

>> Ideally this needs to be standardized so that it does not only work
>>> with our applications but with any.
>>>

>> Even within just KDE apps, we have code like QDesktopServices spawning
>> links in code we can't manipulate. Anything non standard, simply isn't
>> worth merging.
>>
>> But I don't think standardising anything would be too hard.
>>
>> Effectively we want something like xdg-foreign which exists. The
>> difference is that it lasts temporarily and it's not manipulating
>> parents.
>>

> xdg-foreign is pretty much the "token" idea :-)
>
> Cool, I think we're on the same page. I'll take it up.

>> There are two interesting questions:
>>
>> Do we want/need to support wayland window sending activating an
>> xwayland window?
>>

> short term: yes, long term: no. Ideally would be a mapping to the startup
> notifications used on X11.
>

>> Would we need a serial of the user event (xdg_popup style)? It would
>> which kinda matches the X event timestamps?
>>  It's trickier as you'd need a protocol to generate a UUID for both
>> that and the surface to sidechannel, but it's not impossible.
>>

> I don't think that the serial is needed as the compositor would only pass
> on focus if the app which generated the token has currently the focus.
> Given that the serial does not provide any additional advantage. And I
> don't like just using the serial as that could be guessed.
>
> Just to clarify a point. I didn't mean just using the serial as a token.
If it was needed I meant clients would need to pass seat + serial as args
along with the surface to our get_token_from_server request.

but I also didn't think it was useful.

> if the app which generated the token has currently the focus

We might need to tweak that.  kickoff will close and lose focus when you
click on an app before that app is launched.
This will probably be something up to the compositor, rather than something
we need to worry about in the spec.

X11 startup system is also used for notifying the UI, via taskbar or
whatever else about the application starting up before it maps a surface.

Is that something we want to bring in? (IMHO no)

David