Discussion for Virtual Desktops and Activities future

Nate Graham pointedstick at zoho.com
Wed Jul 4 20:12:07 BST 2018

I used to be of the opinion that having both Activities and Virtual
Desktops was "too confusing" to users. I've changed my opinion recently,
because I finally came to understand how they're designed to be used for
very different things: Virtual Desktops are for window organization
within the current set of tasks, and Activities are for higher-level
task and context switching.

Both concepts have merit and are useful, but it's true that the current
user interfaces for them are rather confusing for a variety of reasons:
both have similar animated transitions; one has an accessible user
interface and a keyboard shortcut but the other one doesn't; one can
have different wallpapers but the other one can't; etc.

I'm willing to experiment with combining them to improve the user
interface, but I think it's important to keep in mind the different
reasons *why* people use one or the other (or both), and fluidly support
all of those use cases without losing any current functionality. So for
example:

- You should be able to mark a Virtual Desktop as "private"
- Virtual Desktops should be able to have different wallpapers, panel
settings, recent documents lists, etc.
- I'd like to see a visible-by-default method to switch between Virtual
Desktops, plus appropriate keyboard shortcuts

In addition to alleviating potential user confusion, combining them
while keeping current functionality may yield a PR advantage since it
would represent an opportunity to shift the narrative from "KDE has two
confusing versions of Virtual Desktops that nobody understands" to "KDE
Has the best, most feature-filled Virtual Desktops implementation!"

I have no opinions regarding how the two concepts are or ought to be
implemented on the backend.

Nate