Raising windows on Wayland

David Edmundson david at davidedmundson.co.uk
Tue Jul 3 17:58:33 BST 2018

> Ideally this needs to be standardized so that it does not only work with
> our applications but with any.

Even within just KDE apps, we have code like QDesktopServices spawning
links in code we can't manipulate. Anything non standard, simply isn't
worth merging.

But I don't think standardising anything would be too hard.

Effectively we want something like xdg-foreign which exists. The difference
is that it lasts temporarily and it's not manipulating parents.

There are two interesting questions:

Do we want/need to support wayland window sending activating an xwayland
window?

Would we need a serial of the user event (xdg_popup style)? It would which
kinda matches the X event timestamps?
It's trickier as you'd need a protocol to generate a UUID for both that and
the surface to sidechannel, but it's not impossible.

---

The other potential solution that I was wondering about, that's waaay
simpler, definitely waaay crappier, but possibly simple enough to just work
without really having issues.

Could client A just release focus (somehow) when spawning an app? If
nothing has focus and toplevel B appears, it seems sensible that kwin would
focus it.