Discussion for Virtual Desktops and Activities future

Michail Vourlakos mvourlakos at gmail.com
Tue Jul 3 16:35:57 BST 2018

A discussion started by me at: https://phabricator.kde.org/D13745 about
concerns related to future Activities / Virtual Desktops merge (I will call
it MERGE in the future). As proposed the discussion can be moved here.

In my opinion having a concrete draft how things are going to work from a
user point view it might bring design issues that can be solved earlier
than later. My opinion in the matter can be found at:
https://psifidotos.blogspot.com/2012/03/activities-and-workareas-draft.html

1. I think that the previous draft can be used in order to identify any
users workflow breakage from MERGE.
2. A new draft describing MERGE from a user point of view should be created
in order for everyone (plama team and VDG) to understand what they are
trying to create.

By reading comments I identified a internal decision in order for MERGE to
be based more in Activites infrastructure  for Plasma product and to VDs
infrastructure for KWin product. I would propose to forget the technical
approach and focus more on the user point of view. This could help avoid
the VDs/Activities debate that started in Plasma 4/5 era and it is still
present at a smaller degree.

I will start with one concern based on the comments I read even though it
would be better for everyone to describe first what is expecting from the
MERGE.

Concern [A]

If MERGE creates a new Activity each time the user needs more space for its
windows, doesnt that break totally the VDs users workflow?

Example: I am working on my current actitivity and I am writing a note in a
plasma widget. I am creating a new Activity, should that Activity look the
same as the previous one and if I change the note in the first should it
look the same and in the second? (at this example a current VDs user would
answer should be in sync and always the same, a current
Activity user would answer it doesnt matter, it is unrelated)