DBus statusnotifier (aka systray) daemon/bridge for GTk/XFCE environments?

René J. V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Sun Jan 21 18:06:21 UTC 2018

Hi,

> I think you've only half analysed this. If nothing is really listening on
> DBus it will fall back to legacy X which will work on XFCE.

Where did I miss this in the code? The createPlatformSystemTrayIcon() functions
in qtbase/src/platformsupport/themes/genericunix/qgenericunixthemes.cpp are
pretty clear: they return NULL unless isDBusTrayAvailable() returns true.

> You'll get into this situation if you have a StatusNotifierItemWatcher
> (typically a kded module from p-w) but no StatusNotifierItem host (sys tray
> support)

In fact, any Qt application that tries to put up a systray icon. At least when
the plasma-integration plugin is installed.

I did find a solution though, ultimately:
https://github.com/equeim/snw-plugin

Which is just about exactly what I asked for :)

Hope this helps others,

R.

PS: Ah, when I move the platform integration plugin aside I indeed get a systray
icon. Hmmm...