how to find kdesu?

Harald Sitter sitter at kde.org
Wed Jan 17 11:43:30 UTC 2018

Moin

I am currently trying to invoke kdesu from a script and having some
trouble wrapping my head around how to actually find it in the file
system.

On neon (and all debians) we have it in
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libexec/kf5/kdesu

That is: libexec/kf5 inside the libdir of ECM (I think)

Now how do I determine where that is without having to resort to
somehow fish that out of cmake (which requires development files to be
installed and that is usually not the case on production systems)?

In kdelibs4 times we hade kde4-config which has a compat replacement
kf5-config in kdelibs4support, but that is deprecated in favor of
qtpaths. qtpaths deals with XDG_ paths, not build time paths, or
rather: the build time paths it supports are Qt's not
KF5's/kde-cli-tools so they are entirely irrelevant for kdesu.

Should this bugger maybe be in bin/ rather than libexec/?

HS