D9848: Updated the blur method to use the more efficient dual kawase blur algorithm.

Alex Nemeth noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Sun Jan 14 20:49:52 UTC 2018

anemeth added a comment.
Restricted Application edited projects, added KWin; removed Plasma.

  In https://phabricator.kde.org/D9848#190676, @romangg wrote:

  > In https://phabricator.kde.org/D9848#190644, @anemeth wrote:
  >
  > > .arcconfig is not needed here
  >

  > Your current patch would delete the .arcconfig file from the KWin repo when being pushed. Do as @zzag said and check it out from master to your working branch.

  I don't have much experience with arc. Could you please tell me how I undo this file deletion?  When I issued `arc diff` I got the following question `Ignore this untracked file and continue? [y/N] y`
  I don't think this is enough to undo the delete, or is it?

  In https://phabricator.kde.org/D9848#190775, @romangg wrote:

  > I'm trying to test this. In Konsole it does not seem to blur anything at all. Read something about setting xprop dbus signal to Konsole. Then it was blurred but a change of blur strength in the settings didn't change the blur. Any tips?

  Try moving a blurred window after you click Apply or OK.

  In https://phabricator.kde.org/D9848#190854, @romangg wrote:

  > There are some rendering artifacts, when intermediate rendering results shall be saved. To reproduce: put a window with different color to background halfway under the sound level indicator when changing volume.

  I tried this and I don't know what you mean. Could you post a picture or a video?
  There may be some 'artifacts' which are not are actually "not a bug, but a feature".
  There was an "extended blur" option before I uploaded this whole thing to phabricator but I removed it, since it ruined the taskbar completely.
  Maybe re-adding it would eliminate your problem.
  Could you please post a video of your artifact problem?

  In https://phabricator.kde.org/D9848#190887, @graesslin wrote:

  > In https://phabricator.kde.org/D9848#190882, @broulik wrote:
  >
  > > >   There are some rendering artifacts, when intermediate rendering results shall be saved.
  > >
  > > That feature has shown to be flaky numerous times and is, I think, still broken on Wayland multi-screen, so given the supposed better performance of the new blur effect I would vote for just removing the render caching altogether.
  >

  > I agree and it reminds me that I wanted to disable the feature on Wayland.

  Removing the cached blur would mostly affect the taskbar. There are some icons on the taskbar that update constantly. For example I'm on Manjaro and the little red octopus icon of Octopi is constantly jumping, telling me to update.
  Without caching the whole taskbar would be updated all the time, and not just a small portion.
  Although removing caching would make the coding easier, so I'm not that against it.

REPOSITORY
  R108 KWin