detecting tablet mode

Martin Flöser mgraesslin at kde.org
Fri Jan 5 17:24:38 UTC 2018

Am 2018-01-05 16:11, schrieb Marco Martin:
> debugging a bit what happens currently on my machine, i don't seem to
> have any event device which libinput_device_switch_has_switch,
> however, when i flip it, i do get an event, but oddly from the event
> device called
> "intel virtual button driver" and i get a key event of id 240.
> do you think it's a kernel problem and can'tbe made work on our level?
> I can also try to do the patch blindly, but how to test not having the
> proper hardware support? (on a running kwin, i know autotests have a
> fake libinput that injects events)
> I wonder on how many devices thoise events will actually work as
> intended...

 From libinput documentation it seems to only be Lenovo Yoga currently.
And you probably need a rather new kernel, maybe even unreleased ones.
This is a pretty brand new feature in libinput and I don't think it's
widely exposed.

Best ask Peter Hutterer, he will also be able to help you get your
device supported so that we have it for everyone. I expect this will be
a great crowd effort which should be doable. If we have the
infrastructure and easy way to test/debug, we should be able to get some
users to help there.

Cheers
Martin

> On Fri, Jan 5, 2018 at 6:23 AM, Martin Flöser <mgraesslin at kde.org>
> wrote:
>> I want to provide a dbus service in KWin to export the state. Apps
>> cannot use libinput directly, one needs root for that.
>>
>> Cheers
>> Martin
>>
>> Am 4. Januar 2018 23:22:43 MEZ schrieb Marco Martin
>> <notmart at gmail.com>:
>>> Hi all,
>>> one thing i wanted to look into, is to detect when a trasformable
>>> laptop goes
>>> in tablet mode from applications, so that plasmashell and kirigami
>>> apps
>>> can
>>> adapt themselves and do things(tm)
>>> KWin does that (on wayland) already, and i see it uses libinput for
>>> that, like
>>> i seem to evince from this recent commit (and the logic when to show
>>> the on
>>> screen keyboard)
>>> https://cgit.kde.org/kwin.git/commit/?
>>> id=ac2f41c86d3b5b13ba3655e6c2f17f59a4cb7f01
>>>
>>> would a normal application use libinput too or is something reserved
>>> the