D9627: Reduce menu shadows to 25% of the window shadow size

Hugo Pereira Da Costa noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Wed Jan 3 18:17:12 UTC 2018

hpereiradacosta added a comment.

  In https://phabricator.kde.org/D9627#185615, @ngraham wrote:

  > Those are valid concerns, and I will think on them! I always admire your thoroughness, @rkflx.
  >
  > That said, for upgrades, users who did not manually change the shadow size should get the new setting since they will not have a config file written out to override the defaults. You're right that users who did change the size manually to something similar to the old default will not have almost no menu shadows. Since small window shadows are a valid case, maybe I should put in a floor value for menu shadow size.

  ... but then you also need the same floor value for the window shadow size. You do not want menu shadows to be bigger than window shadows.
  In the end I think a finite set of hard coded shadow sizes (menu and window), controlled by a unique combobox, is what makes more sense. It hides unnecessary micromanagement to the user (honestly there is no need to allow user to change a shadow size from 31 to 32 pixels: the difference is not even visible to the eye); and gives the maximum flexibility to devs and designers to choose (and evolve) the "best" set of sizes that should accommodate most tastes.

REPOSITORY
  R31 Breeze

BRANCH
  master