D9549: Horizontally center shadows and make them bigger

Hugo Pereira Da Costa noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Tue Jan 2 17:12:21 UTC 2018

hpereiradacosta added a comment.

  In https://phabricator.kde.org/D9549#185037, @ngraham wrote:

  > In https://phabricator.kde.org/D9549#185034, @rkflx wrote:
  >
  > > I did not look at the complete code, but at least your patch does not contain anything which changes this coupling. I suspect to achieve the situation in the screenshots your patch relies on the fact that the menu shadows just use the old default size (which was based on the old window default size). Now as soon as you introduce a new default size (but only for windows), things break.
  >

  > Right, that's exactly it. The old menu shadows were just hardcoded to use a smaller version of the old default size, and it didn't consult the default at all until you changed it, at which point it becomes as big as the menu shadows.

  Don't think so. The same "default" shadow size is used for the window decoration and for the window style. Now of course, once the style has been recompiled you need to restart the applications to have the new default value properly accounted for. No bug. Just a momentary glitch due to recompilation I think.

  > This is the pre-existing bug in the code. With my change, it become more noticeable because now the default window shadow is much bigger, but it's not a new issue I've introduced. Before changing anything else, let's get some consensus on how we want to proceed:
  >
  > 1. Menu shadows are always small
  > 2. Menu shadows are always follow window shadow size
  > 3. Menu shadows are always follow window shadow size, with some adjustment (50% as big? 75% as big? 25% as big? Something else).

  For me, definitly 3 since this is what we have now, with a possibly adjusted scale factor. Alternatively, hardcoded smaller sizes that match the combobox enumeration would also work. Be certain that not _everybody_ will be happy with the change, no matter what the change is. It is just a question of making a sensible change.
  Note that there was never any bug report about the current choice (3., with 75% scale factor), so far.

REPOSITORY
  R31 Breeze