D9549: Horizontally center shadows and make them bigger

Henrik Fehlauer noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Tue Jan 2 16:59:05 UTC 2018

rkflx added a comment.

  In https://phabricator.kde.org/D9549#184601, @ngraham wrote:

  > I can make the spinbox not affect menus; good catch. This was a pre-existing bug, but it gets bigger with the patch.

  Are you sure this is an old bug? Works for me (and Hugo mentioned it too), i.e. starting from the default changing size in both directions affects window and menu shadows at the same time, like it should.

  I did not look at the complete code, but at least your patch does not contain anything which changes this coupling. I suspect to achieve the situation in the screenshots your patch relies on the fact that the menu shadows just use the old default size (which was based on the old window default size). Now as soon as you introduce a new default size (but only for windows), things break.

  Could you check that? (I might be wrong, but currently it looks like the issue is with your patch.)

  In https://phabricator.kde.org/D9549#184975, @hpereiradacosta wrote:

  > - right now there is an explicit 3/4 (12/16) conversion factor between […] Maybe this scale-down is too small especially since the new default window shadow size is larger, and one could for instance try 1/2 (or even 1/4th) instead of 3/4

  Yeah we should try this. However, it might turn we even need a different scaling function or think about a static size. I'd need to test it live. In case we decide to use a set of well-defined fixed values, we also could just hard-code some combinations (in terms of logical pixel sizes, not physical pixel sizes) which work good enough.

  > - huge: 128

  Maybe "Very Large", to be consistent with the window decoration button size combobox wording?

REPOSITORY
  R31 Breeze