D10920: Install app metadata for plasmoidviewer and plasmaengineexplorer

Nathaniel Graham noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Wed Feb 28 21:29:54 UTC 2018

ngraham added a comment.

  Here's the full discussion:

  Nate Graham, [28.02.18 14:17]
  Quick question: is it or is it not okay for TLD-style appstream IDs to end in .desktop? Is there any problem with this, or do clients ignore it when determining app uniqueness? (i.e. would org.blender.blender and org.blender.blender.desktop be considered the same app)

  Matthias, [28.02.18 14:18]
  It would not be considered the same app

  Matthias, [28.02.18 14:18]
  The general advice is to leave a desktop suffix out for new metadata

  Matthias, [28.02.18 14:19]
  Having it doesn't hurt though

  Nate Graham, [28.02.18 14:22]
  it might be nice to add this information to https://www.freedesktop.org/software/appstream/docs/chap-Metadata.html#sect-Metadata-GenericComponent, since when I tell this to people, they're often skeptical

  Matthias, [28.02.18 14:22]
  Which information?

  Nate Graham, [28.02.18 14:22]
  that it's not recommended to add .desktop as a suffix for new apps

  Matthias, [28.02.18 14:23]
  Well, the spec is pretty explicit in not requesting it - no example there has it, and the ID is defined as tld.domain.app

  Nate Graham, [28.02.18 14:23]
  for example see the discussion at https://phabricator.kde.org/D10920

  Nate Graham, [28.02.18 14:24]
  I pointed that out, and the reply was:

  Nate Graham, [28.02.18 14:24]
  "While there is no direct mention of a .desktop, there is some description about adding a type:
  So why would you think that .desktop is not the type name as mentioned there? Any chance you can point to the relevant conversations?"

  Matthias, [28.02.18 14:24]
  I am currently on vacation, will look at that bug report when back home

  Nate Graham, [28.02.18 14:24]
  ok

  Matthias, [28.02.18 14:25]
  Oh, that type stuff if it's still in there should maybe be clarified then, I guess - will look at it later

  Nate Graham, [28.02.18 14:25]
  cool, thanks

  Matthias, [28.02.18 14:25]
  Basically, you can add a type if you want to distinguish between components in the same domain, e.g. if you develop an app and a library of the same name

REPOSITORY
  R118 Plasma SDK