Closing old Plasma 4 bugs

Martin Flöser mgraesslin at kde.org
Sat Feb 10 20:42:28 UTC 2018

Am 2018-02-10 21:24, schrieb Nate Graham:
> Hello folks,
> We have more than 2,500 Plasma 4 bugzilla tickets that we don't intend
> to look at or triage. We've already prevented new tickets from being
> filed, but it doesn't do anyone any good to just have the old ones
> sitting there. My sense is that most of the relevant bugs and wishlist
> items are already represented in the plasmashell product, so what do
> you think about doing a mass-close?
>
> I was thinking of closing them all with one of the following two
> messages (top one for bugs, bottom one for wishlist items). What do
> you think?

+1 on that. If you want to do that, please get in contact with sysadmin
team before. They might have some requirements regarding mass closing of
bugreports (at least in the past this resulted in email traffic which
put us on spammer lists).

Concerning the text:
I would cut the "Developers have not been triaging Plasma 4 bugs since
that time.", the message that it is EOL is sufficient for what we want
to tell. Also it opens an attack vector (lazy devs don't look for bugs).

For reference the message I put into KWin for mass closing bugs:

As of git commit 34027455aaa2ee738c45987ca2d8cb7d65491bf0 window tiling
support has been removed from KWin. This change will go into version
4.10, the upcoming release 4.9 still provides window tiling support. The
discussion has been taken on the developer mailing list [1]. A short
summary of the reasons here:
* it is unmaintained
* it is a mode not used by any of the core KWin team
* original developer said at Akademy 2012 that he is not interested in
picking up the work again
* tiling has quite some bugs, e.g. multi screen not supported
* is conflicting with other concepts in KWin, e.g. activities

A result of this change is that we will not implement any new features
or fix bugs related to window tiling.

There is ongoing work to provide window tiling as an external KWin
script. We encourage everyone to participate in this effort and to make
it really rock and have it available once 4.10 is going to be released.
The current state can be found in the git repository [2] in the
directory kwin/scripts/tiling.

[1] http://lists.kde.org/?l=kwin&m=133149673110558&w=2
[2] https://github.com/mgottschlag/kwin-tiling/

Cheers