5.8 LTS support period

Martin Flöser mgraesslin at kde.org
Thu Feb 8 18:13:47 UTC 2018

Am 2018-02-08 17:54, schrieb Jonathan Riddell:
> We had one last 5.8 release scheduled for April but instead we did it
> this week and I think the idea of releases as required by security
> updates is a sensible way forward.  But for how much longer?  Any
> distro packagers have an opinion of how long they'd like it to be
> supported?

What about: as long as a security patch applies we backport it?

Reasoning: if we look at todays two CVEs we can notice a pattern. The
bugs have been around for a "long" time (as all security issues tend to
do) and they might have been discovered if someone would have reworked
the code. So for new issues it will be either in code not yet present in
5.8 or very likely unchanged since 5.8.

Cheers
Martin