D17372: [componentchooser KCM] Make KIO browser option the fallback only and remove from the UI

David Faure noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Sat Dec 22 23:24:57 GMT 2018

dfaure added a comment.

  OK, here's a bit of historical information, and then my opinion.

  The idea of that option was that when you click on a (e.g. HTTP) link to a PDF (e.g. in an email), the best application to view that PDF is Okular.
  Similarly, if it's an image, the best application would be an image viewer.
  Sure, those aren't browsers, that's the whole point of that option.
  When the associated application is using KIO, there is no speed penalty because the job (and the kioslave) used to retrieve the URL is put on hold in the first app (e.g. kmail) and resumed in the application being launched.
  I don't think this is confusing in any way (only be people who nitpick on the word "browser" in the section name), but that's a minor issue at this point, see below.

  This used to be fine, at least with KDE applications. But that means a double HTTP request with non-KDE applications.
  And these days there's no KIO-based browser anymore, so for the common case (HTML) it doesn't work anymore.

  I agree to removing the option, then.
  Even I don't use it anymore, even though it was one of my favourite features...
  I'm just sad that clicking on a link to a PDF in kmail doesn't open okular but firefox's awful embedded PDF reader. But we can't trust extensions over HTTP, so there's not really any solution there. Thank you Apple, the killing of QtWebKit has killed support for this, indirectly.

REPOSITORY
  R119 Plasma Desktop