D16031: [SDDM theme] remove blur and increase UI contrast so that it's not required

Filip Fila noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Sun Dec 9 15:52:13 GMT 2018

filipf added a comment.

  In D16031#373904 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D16031#373904>, @raddison wrote:

  > > but I don't see why the lock and login screens should necessarily be identical in design
  >
  > I do. The the login and lock screens should be visually consistent with each other. **It's a no-brainer**. How do we mitigate that?

  It's far from being a no-brainer. There is a temporal and functional difference between the two screens. The user will spend only a very short amount of time within the login screen, whereas a lock screen may stay on the screen longer. The user will also use the SDDM predominantly just for logging in, whereas the lock screen is functionally more diverse - offers some control (e.g. media playback) over and insight (e.g notifications) into the machine.

  Allow me to show an example: what is the point of having a huge centered clock in the login screen? It would make more sense to, for instance, jam it down into the newly created panel in order to simply have SDDM focused on what it's supposed to do: log you in. This is why some environments such as Windows or GNOME don't have a big clock in the login screen, but have one in the lock screen; they were most likely thinking about conceptual differences instead of just advocating visual consistency solely for visual consistency's sake.

  On the other hand, having a big clock actually makes sense on the lock screen if I'm working on something next to my computer and I want to check the clock.

REPOSITORY
  R120 Plasma Workspace