D17393: [Folder View] make file context menu consistent with Dolphin's

Nathaniel Graham noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Sat Dec 8 14:38:10 GMT 2018

ngraham added a comment.

  Hmm, I prefer the Dolphin one for the following reasons:

  1. Having the the "open with" item near the top makes sense because it's likely the most commonly used item
  2. Having the "open" items grouped together makes sense, since they're both similar actions, and all other platforms I'm familiar with have their context menu's "open" items on the top too
  3. The greater use of separators is an asset, not a drawback: separators provide structure and help the mind distinguish between logical groups. In particular having cut/copy/paste separated from other items makes sense.
  4. The current FV menu has bugs:
    1. The top item is Open, but it uses an inappropriate icon and is duplicated by another superior Open with [app name] item buried in the middle of the context menu.
    2. It doesn't show the Paste item unless there's something to paste. This is a HIG violation; we don't recommend modifying the visibility of inapplicable menu items; instead they should be disabled.
    3. The Properties item doesn't have a keyboard shortcut

  But if you're not convinced, perhaps we could ask #VDG <https://phabricator.kde.org/tag/vdg/> which of the following they prefer:

  Current Folder View menu:
  F6464047: Screenshot_20181208_073248.png <https://phabricator.kde.org/F6464047>

  Current Dolphin menu: