D16031: [SDDM theme] remove blur and increase UI contrast so that it's not required

Nathaniel Graham noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Mon Dec 3 21:36:06 GMT 2018

ngraham added a comment.

  @raddison You described my work as "not exactly a stroke of genius." That's not being "blunt", it's an insult. We have had this conversation before. I will be forwarding this and earlier exchanges to the KDE Community Working Group.

  @rooty If you are implying that I want to remove the blur from the Plasma login screen because apparently Apple did it in macOS 10.14, you would be wrong. I didn't even know they did that until you brought it up right now.

  I want to remove the blur from the login screen because it obscures the wallpaper and I think looks ugly (too dark, too blurry). The current design was not something we agonized over and polished forever; it was the best we could do to land a good design that was 95% done in the 5.13 timeframe before we would have otherwise missed the release.

  As I have mentioned a couple of times, I am open to discussing alternative designs that make the wallpaper mostly visible like this patch does, while offering improved background contrast for the text and controls. I have offered up the Plasma 5.7 and earlier login screen design as one such example that I think worked well to accomplish both of those goals by using a dark background/frame underneath the UI controls. The current darkened blur solution basically does the same thing, but regresses the visuals by unnecessarily extending it to the entire screen--most of which has no UI controls on it, so it's not needed. There's no point in even having a wallpaper on the login screen if it's not going to be visible with the current darkened blur. We might as well just make it a solid dark gray background. If you keep the blur but turn down the intensity and degree of darkening, you regress its ability to generate contrast against arbitrary backgrounds, and wind up with the worst of all worlds: poor contrast, and a wallpaper that still isn't visible.

REPOSITORY
  R120 Plasma Workspace