D16031: [SDDM theme] remove blur and increase UI contrast so that it's not required

Richard Addison noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Mon Dec 3 20:50:26 GMT 2018

raddison added a comment.

  In D16031#368991 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D16031#368991>, @ngraham wrote:

  > In D16031#368953 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D16031#368953>, @raddison wrote:
  >
  > > I've also looked at the test plan and it's not exactly a stroke of genius if it looks like https://phabricator.kde.org/file/data/w3iyc7eov3ys6kmhrwi7/PHID-FILE-nya3nyqpjbmnijijvlwm/Screenshot_20181129_233236.png
  >

  > You have two options:
  >
  > - Stop insulting people and their work
  > - Go away
  >
  >   Coming up with realistic solutions to difficult and controversial issues is hard. We have gone over a bunch of different designs and all of them have strengths and weaknesses. You are welcome to propose alternatives in T9658 <https://phabricator.kde.org/T9658>, but please do it with respect. Thanks.

  @ngraham With all due respect I have not insulted anyone or anything. I have expressed my point of view with regard to a **thing** and not **a person**. Why is it needed to fix something that is already the best possible solution? You have also stated that the desktop has to adapt to the user and not the other way around. Very generous concept but unrealistic. As things stand right now, the login in Plasma is at least on par if not better than what Windows, Deepin or Android have. **Blur + a tint of dark make the controls perfectly visible, even if the background is very bright or white.** The same holds true for both the lock screen and the login screen. You have also stated that people are complaining about the login/lock screens without quantifying their complaints in any way whatsoever (e.g. satisfaction/dissatisfaction ratio?). Which is a methodological flaw. Your argument boils down to "I want to see the wallpaper". Fine.

  Whether we are talking about the login screen or the lock screen, things are similar.

  You only see the blurred + slightly tinted login or lock screen for a very brief span of time (when you log-in). At all other times you can see the wallpaper or the wallpaper with a date and time. If auto login is enabled you will boot into the login screen but after a brief span of time (set by default or the user) the login screen will time-out into a wallpaper with a date and time. At that moment, if you move the mouse, the login screen will show up but as soon as you stop interacting, the login screen will time-out again. I'm uploading some screenshots in defense of what I think to be a masterpiece of Plasma that shouldn't be tempered with then I'll rest my case. I should have used Neon but Solus Plasma will do just fine.
  F6453369: Screenshot_20181203_205943.png <https://phabricator.kde.org/F6453369>

  F6453371: Screenshot_20181203_191226.png <https://phabricator.kde.org/F6453371>

  F6453373: Screenshot_20181203_201310.png <https://phabricator.kde.org/F6453373>

  F6453378: Screenshot_20181203_205228.png <https://phabricator.kde.org/F6453378>

  Kind regards, my friend. I have nothing but positive feelings towards you and your hard work is worthy of our admiration. I'm blunt, yes, but no insult whatsoever had been intended.

REPOSITORY
  R120 Plasma Workspace