D15011: [Kickoff] Make the search field always look like a search field

Nathaniel Graham noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Mon Aug 27 04:59:30 BST 2018

ngraham added a comment.

  In D15011#315864 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D15011#315864>, @abetts wrote:

  > Interesting. I can change my opinion here. Should we then make sure that all the examples shown in the table behave the same?

  They all do //behave// the same, they just don't //look// the same:

  1. Most make the search field always look like a search field, but Kickoff doesn't (which this patch fixes)
  2. Most show the search field when typing will initiate a search, but Widget Explorer doesn't (the search field only appears once you start typing)
  3. Of the ones that have a visible search field by default, half of them (Kicker, System Settings) give the search field a focus ring by default, while the other two (Klipper and Discover) don't.

  It seems like we have agreement on fixing #1, which is what this patch does. We haven't discussed #2, and don't need to for the purposes of this patch. We can do that elsewhere. Regarding #3, my preference is to have them all consistently show a visible focus ring if they have keyboard focus. I think we might be able to alleviate possible aesthetic concerns of doing this in Kickoff by adding a few more subtle separator lines. I'd prefer to do that in a separate patch though, for atomicity's sake.

REPOSITORY
  R119 Plasma Desktop