D15011: [Kickoff] Make the search field always look like a search field

Filip Fila noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Fri Aug 24 15:26:18 BST 2018

filipf added a comment.

  In D15011#314744 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D15011#314744>, @ngraham wrote:

  > Of your mockups, I like the last one the best, but nonetheless I'm just not a fan of defining a custom textfield style here; I think we should follow the HIG. If we had a dedicated "search field" control that was more subtle than general textfields, we could use that, but we don't. Until and unless we create one, I think we should err on the side of internal consistency and use the pre-existing textfield control.
  >
  > I too am bothered by the amount of horizontal wasted space, which is one of the reasons why I proposed T9041: New "Home" tab for Kickoff <https://phabricator.kde.org/T9041>. But that's a discussion for another phab task :)

  Agreed, consistency all across the UI is preferable to bursts of design ideas in particular places. After the proposal by Safa it occurred to me that maybe we overlooked adding an icon so the minimal change I see that can be done is to add a search icon to the left of "Type to search..." and remove the code that shows the "uname -a" information. Small improvement I'd say, but I don't know if it's enough. If not and if we can't modify the search box style too much, then functionality reasons triumph and the search box as is has to be shipped, but with still keeping in mind the future tasks of perhaps updating the HIG and/or redesigning Kickoff to not be as unibody.

  And yep, saw that task, that's what I was referencing! Don't get me wrong, the Favorites tab is great at what it does, but a Home tab as a default tab would be an improvement.

REPOSITORY
  R119 Plasma Desktop