D15011: [Kickoff] Make the search field always look like a search field

Nathaniel Graham noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Thu Aug 23 14:25:03 BST 2018

ngraham added a comment.

  In D15011#314078 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D15011#314078>, @filipf wrote:

  > There doesn't have to be one solution and this is hardly an issue where such a hardline approach is warranted. There is nothing cold, stark or undifferentiated about Kickoff and its search bar now. It's just that it's a problem for people who aren't as intuitive with finding their way in a UI. And slapping on a white opaque box with bright blue outer glow just like it was in KDE 4 doesn't seem like preserving minimalism either. It isn't even just about design because there is no need to have that kind of a prominent box sticking out there the whole time if it's not being used the whole time. I can even support you in making the searchbox show up at all times as a default, but I urge you again to please consider leaving an option to have it the same as it is.

  Sorry, it almost never makes sense to have user-facing options for this kind of very specific thing. I know that change can be a bit scary at times, but design evolves, and we have a theming system for people who don't like the defaults.

  Things should look like what they are, and it's generally not considered good design to have the same UI element look different in different contexts. Text fields should look like text fields, otherwise discoverability suffers and the user interface becomes unpleasantly inconsistent.

  Also, Filip, I notice that you only just signed up for a Phabricator account 8 days ago and //literally 100%// of your activities have consisted of objecting to patches I've submitted. We value user input, but it's not very considerate to show up in a developer environment simply to gum up the works. There are always a thousand reasons not to do something. But in all systems, stasis is death. The users' need for stability (which is indeed very important) must be balanced against the system's need for flexibility and adaptability--without which, the system eventually dies or loses its appeal to users, both current and future. I ask that you give me and other developers the benefit of the doubt when we are working on evolving the design. We might not be as dumb as we look! :-)

REPOSITORY
  R119 Plasma Desktop