D14869: [RFC] Increase default font sizes by 1 pt

Root noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Mon Aug 20 13:57:28 BST 2018

rooty added a comment.

  In D14869#311957 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D14869#311957>, @rkflx wrote:

  > @ngraham Could you comment on why (on your personal machine) you went for increasing the font size instead of changing the DPI value? (If this is a UI issue, telemetry might give skewed results, BTW.)
  >
  > In T7254#152631 <https://phabricator.kde.org/T7254#152631>, @ngraham wrote:
  >
  > > I think the font DPI setting needs to be much more hidden or even disappear completely IMHO.
  >

  > But why? The DPI spinbox allows for much more fine-tuning, and also affects all other places where the fonts you are changing here are not even used. If a display has smaller physical pixels, this affects everything and not only the standard fonts, doesn't it? (And in some cases you might not want fractional scaling, and only change fonts DPI.)

  i think the DPI thing is a mistake too, removing the font DPI setting goes against the grain of what a lot of people (including yours truly) use KDE for, customizability

  @ngraham if you want to set a different default value fine, but please don't remove the option i.e. emulate Apple's mistakes by locking things down... macs work in spite of their flaws, not because of them; you can always put in a wizard that runs on booting for the first time and ask people what their preferences are... i still wouldn't hardcode them (what if you change your mind later on)

REPOSITORY
  R119 Plasma Desktop