D14830: Add "Display Configuration" context menu entry on the desktop

Nathaniel Graham noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Thu Aug 16 21:35:39 BST 2018

ngraham added a comment.

  In D14830#308707 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D14830#308707>, @ngraham wrote:

  > In D14830#308703 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D14830#308703>, @broulik wrote:
  >
  > > In D14830#308693 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D14830#308693>, @ngraham wrote:
  > >
  > > > The text needs to start with a verb and end with an ellipsis, E.g. "Configure Display Settings..." or even "Configure Displays..."
  > >

  > > According to HIG:
  > >
  > > > Do not use an ellipsis for selections which […] do not require user input (such as configuration dialogs).
  > > >  […]
  > > >  Do not use an ellipsis for the following menu items and buttons:
  > > >  […]
  > > > Preferences
  >

  > In that case, we're seemingly violating this literally everywhere. :p I'll talk to @romangg and @fabianr and @abetts about this guideline, considering that it's totally ignored.

  We all got together and agreed to change this HIG on this to reflect the fact that "Configure" is an action verb, and that configuring something always requires user intervention and has a definite end. As such, an ellipsis is appropriate. See https://hig.kde.org/style/writing/labels.html#using-ellipses-in-labels

REPOSITORY
  R120 Plasma Workspace