D14869: [RFC] Increase default font sizes by 1 pt

Henrik Fehlauer noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Thu Aug 16 08:41:31 BST 2018

rkflx added a comment.

  @ngraham I've got a couple of questions regarding your RFC:

  > It's notable that all other desktop operating systems use at least 11pt as the size of their UI font, and some go much larger. The experiment has already been done for us and the results appear to have been positive judging by the fact that everyone else made the jump to 11pt UI font size. Perhaps we should too.

  I tried to verify that, so I took some screenshots:

  F6198464: kubuntu10-kubunbtu11-win10-macos.png <https://phabricator.kde.org/F6198464>

  1. As far as I can see, the most-used desktop operating system uses the smallest fonts. Why is it that my screenshots show a smaller or equal size when comparing "other desktops" to our current and well-balanced offer, but according to your comment they should show a much larger size? Do you have screenshots? Did you compare 100% scaling for each?

  2. As far as I know you are using a laptop where a fractional scaling factor slightly larger than 1 would be in order, but instead you compensate by increasing the font size. Nothing wrong with that, but I wonder how large the fonts will become on other people's displays, e.g. a standalone cheap 1080p monitor with a DPI below 100, which are very common. I fear this will make it better for some people and worse for others, creating nothing but churn. Did you test this with several of said displays?

  3. How does your suggestion relate to both the DPI value of your hardware and what Xorg uses? Do we actually set a higher DPI value for Hi(gher)DPI hardware automatically, so the actual size to the eye is independent of the display in use? If not, why not?

  4. This only scales fonts, but other UI elements are unaffected, so proportions as originally intended by the creators get distorted. Would it make sense to refer users to fractional scaling instead, or even make it automatic once it works well enough?

  5. Are there many bug reports of users complaining about too small fonts in Plasma? If so, could you add links?

REPOSITORY
  R119 Plasma Desktop