D14869: [RFC] Increase default font sizes by 1 pt

Chris Rizzitello noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Thu Aug 16 00:13:47 BST 2018

rizzitello added a comment.

  The title bar with the bold font looks nice at both sizes.

  >   Reduced text density (obviously)

  Our defaults are not very dense so the loss of density is only going to be bad, except for the case of small screens. On those its more then reasonable to assume you will need to adjust your fonts and the sizes of things in general anyway.

  >   Some UI elements become larger, reducing overall screen density. It's particularly noticeable with Kickoff and the Task Manager. Are we willing to live with that, or should we investigate whether or nor that kind of scaling should happen?

  To try to figure out how much larger things will be with these new defaults for the fonts I used gimp's scale tool with the provided images. Its looking like the average element will be 10% larger with the bump up in font size. This should effect any element that has text, all qlabels without text and anything using Font Metrics.

  > There are also some widgets like the System Tray whose icons become spaced very slightly farther apart for basically no reason (there's no text). Is this a bug we should fix?

  Yes, We should look into why these widgets are acting that way.

REPOSITORY
  R119 Plasma Desktop