KDE Connect clipboard integration doesn't work on Wayland

Martin Flöser mgraesslin at kde.org
Wed Aug 1 18:20:33 BST 2018

Am 2018-08-01 17:43, schrieb Aleix Pol:
> Hey,
> One of the most useful features in KDE Connect is the clipboard
> integration, this is not working currently. I'm guessing it's a
> privileges issue, I was wondering if it would maybe be possible to fix
> it by doing something like we're doing for fake input:

the reason why it's not working is the same for why klipper is not
working: clipboard is not a shared medium anymore, but the compositor
grants applications to write to the clipboard and to read from the
clipboard. Both is strictly tied to having (keyboard) focus.

For kdeconnect this means it's not possible to write to the clipboard
nor to read from the clipboard as it doesn't have a gui which could gain
focus (obviously having a gui would not really be a solution here).

The ideas I had was to have a kind of clipboard manager which is always
informed when clipboard content changes and is also allowed to write
clipboard. I had a draft protocol, but I never got it to work properly
for the klipper case as it tried to sync into both directions. But for
the kdeconnect case the approach could work. Basically what we need is a
protocol which allows to always set the data source and to get data
offers. This would probably make sense to have in wayland-protocols as
it's a rather generic problem (e.g. also virtual machines need this
feature).

Cheers
Martin