Notes from Sprint - Wayland stuff

David Edmundson david at davidedmundson.co.uk
Sun Apr 29 21:57:18 UTC 2018

I'm posting my notes from the sprint grouped by topic for easier tracking
of replies.

As you may know, we had the lead dev of wlroots at the sprint, with one
goal being to talk over custom protocols we both have.

I've attached my notes (and my opinions) below.

---

Layer protocol.

Effectively its a shell protocol with semantic xdgpositioner like
properties aligned to a wl_output rather than ours which uses global pixel
coordinates.

Its mostly quite good, I posted the few things I don't like to their
tracker. It would cover almost every plasmashell protocol usage except
panel autohide which is quite kwin specific.

Given our protocol works, I don't think we gain anything switching as is,
but if it was both standardised *and* if we can get it into Qt (properly
with abi stable api) I would more than happily add support.

-----
Output management protocol

Sway decided their users will just edit config files and reload compositor;
but did say they'd consider our protocol if they add it.

------

Remote access protocol.

wlroots has a draft DMA buf sharing protocol, which is conceptually similar
to our gem sharing but their protocol is much more...involved. It does a
lot more but at the expense of being quite complex for both the compositor
and any potential recording client.

Does show plenty we could add to ours, but we should see how stuff with
pipewire pans out first and what's actually needed.

David